Required Reading is a weekly listing of all the bits of visual inspiration, cool videos, news, hip links, and miscellaneous information that rattles my head during the week. The stuff that’s worth bookmarking and gets my brain-juices flowing.
Back from both the holiday weekend and several days of feeling under the weather, but I did manage to get up to some illness related adventures and catch up on quite a bit of work while I was convalescing. We are about a week from opening the new studio and could not be more excited, we can finally say goodbye to the ever-present paintbrush (especially the one above… it’s cursed I tell you) that seemed to magically appear in my hand every time I reached for my camera.
And, as you may have noticed, I have been quite busy revamping and updating the blog over to a new look, one that I feel presents my visual content a little better than the old layout. This is just stage one of a few more planned updates I have slated for the next few months.
• An ever-growing photography tumblr centered around the idea of vintage photography of men – My Daguerreotype Boyfriend
• Warren Ellis’ espousing the importance of an analog notebook, I keep uncovering more and more creatives I respect who share this outlook on the value of a simple pen and paper.
• Great piece for young and upcoming photographers over at Chase Jarvis’ blog, Yes is for wimps, get used to hearing no, is the perfect rundown on how “no” may end up being your very best friend in this crazy business.
• I have a new obsession with this water I found in the natural foods section of the store while I was sick and looking for vitamins to chase the germs away. I can only describe Blk as the gothest water ever made, the bottle itself is clear… clear and most likely filled with the opaque and refreshing essence of darkness….
• Agenda, my new calendar app of choice
• As an old analog Holga enthusiast, I am really fascinated by the possibility of a digital Holga-D, especially as an innovative open source camera platform.
• On the hunt for some new mixes and work music? I strongly suggest that you stop by the Illuminated Mixtapes for hours of sonic pleasure.
• Been perusing ffffound.com a lot lately on the recommendation of my assistant, Jason (above). Been using it as sort of a quick hit visual research and inspiration clearing house, I log on for five minutes here and there just to click around and see what I come across.
• An important and insightful entry from the inimitable Nubby Twiglet about the importance of starting your journey now and doing what you know you are meant to do.
• Australian fashion label Ksubi presents this short film by Daniel Askill, apparently to reintroduce their colored denim line… and make me re-watch it ten times in a row, this is definitely the one video piece I have not been able to stop watching all week