Required Reading is a weekly listing of all the bits of visual inspiration, cool videos, news, hip links, and miscellaneous information that rattles my head during the week. The stuff that’s worth bookmarking and gets my brain-juices flowing.
• I don’t think I could ever stop loving Polaroids, and this collection of images only reaffirms that love | A Collection of Helmut Newton’s Test Polaroids
• An interesting article on how those in the often abused roles of interns are starting to fight back | Get Your Own Damn Coffee!
• Promise Tangeman’s thoughts on the downsides of ranking and scoring yourself alongside others In your field, and how you are better served by focusing on who you are | Comparing Yourself To Others
• My favorite freelance switch comic in weeks | Self Discipline
• Adam from the Angriest Critic shared this trailer with me the other day – and I have been mildly obsessed with it ever since. I can’t wait for the full release of this film so that I can see even more of its impressive visual style | Beyond the Black Rainbow
• Taking a look at western consumption through photography | Scott Gable Blog.
• This new documentary on Wayne White has me so excited to see some importance given to the idea of art actually being fun and exuberant.
• Social media overload can become an enormous detriment to the creative process if it starts to become too much of an addiction – I like this articles take on it as an un-winnable arms war. | Feeling Social Enough yet?
• Light is surreal, meditative, and beautiful – Sunday Paper has been killing it lately with these provocative video pieces. Also worth checking out is their insightful and sympathetic take on zombies in their recent film Rest.